Beijing says Philippines ‘courts outside powers’ and ‘causes trouble’ in South China Sea

Beijing says Philippines ‘courts outside powers’ and ‘causes trouble’ in South China Sea

Defence ministry’s attack on Manila – which also hinted US was fuelling tensions – comes amid major joint exercise with Australia.

Beijing has accused the Philippines of “causing trouble” in the South China Sea while also suggesting the United States was to blame for fuelling tensions.

On Thursday, Zhang Xiaogang, a spokesman for the Chinese defence ministry, criticised joint drills by the Philippines and Australia.

“[Manila] has repeatedly courted influence from outside powers to make waves in this area, playing the role of an ass in a lion’s skin,” Zhang said, using a Chinese idiom to accuse it of “jeopardising regional security and stability”.

javascript:false

“Reality has proven time and again that the Philippine side is the one who undermines stability and causes troubles in the South China Sea.”

In a veiled reference to the US, he added: “At the same time, certain external countries have instigated and supported the Philippines to take irresponsible actions that harm the shared interests of regional countries.

“China’s actions to safeguard our territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests are justified and legitimate. We will take firm countermeasures against any provocative behaviour.”

Beijing has long accused Washington of destabilising the region as the US and Philippines have worked to strengthen their long-standing military alliance.

More than 3,600 service personnel from Australia and the Philippines are currently taking part in Exercise Alon, their largest-ever joint drill, which began on August 15 and ends on Friday.

A Canadian frigate also took part in the exercise, while the US, Indonesia, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea all sent observers.

The drill is taking place on Luzon and Palawan islands. The latter is less than 300 nautical miles (555km) from the Philippine-held Thitu Island in the Spratly Islands and near Second Thomas Shoal – one of the main flashpoints in Manila’s long-running territorial dispute with Beijing.

Last week, Philippine Defence Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jnr and his visiting Australian counterpart, Richard Marles, said they hoped to finalise an “enhanced defence cooperation” agreement by next year.

In a joint statement, they “expressed serious concern over the situation in the South China Sea, particularly dangerous and coercive actions by China against Philippine vessels”.