Tariff troubles overshadow US olive branch at NATO

Tariff troubles overshadow US olive branch at NATO

US Secretary of State Rubio was more conciliatory in tone with NATO allies, but the growing transatlantic chasm is hard to gloss over. Ukraine’s future and European security are existential questions for the alliance.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived with a message of reassurance and firm instructions for skittish NATO foreign ministers as they assembled at alliance headquarters in Brussels on Thursday: We are here to stay, now double your collective defense spending.

“The United States is as active in NATO as it has ever been,” Rubio told reporters, standing next to NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte at the start of the two-day meeting. “President Trump’s made clear he supports NATO. We’re going to remain in NATO.”

If Donald Trump’s support for NATO had been understood clearly in Europe in recent months, it was not evident. Since he took office for the second time in January, he has repeatedly suggested the US could decline to come to the aid of allies that did not meet NATO defense spending targets if they were attacked, undermining the mutual defence pact that is a core NATO tenet.

The US president also stunned Europeans with his desire to annex Greenland, a semi-autonomous territory that is part of Denmark, and by opening bilateral talks with Moscow to end the war in Ukraine, largely sidelining other NATO members that like Washington have funelled hundreds of billions of dollars to Kyiv.

But Rubio, who himself ran for the US presidency in 2016 as a traditional conservative candidate, suggested there had been some misunderstanding.

“Some of this hysteria and hyperbole that I see in the global media and some domestic media in the United States about NATO is unwarranted,” the US secretary of state said.

Rubio and Rutte stress NATO unity despite tensions

Rutte, who took over as NATO chief in 2024, also underlined the transatlantic bond.

“We know that the United States is a staunch ally in NATO,” he said. “But that commitment comes with an expectation, and the expectation is that the European allies and Canada need to spend more.”

The former Dutch prime minister said that Canada and European allies had boosted their defense spending by 700 billion euros since 2017. In a likely bid to appease the US, Rutte stressed that NATO allies should all be aiming to spend “north of 3%” of their gross domestic product (GDP) on defense.

A now heavily militarized Russia waging war on NATO’s doorstep in Ukraine, but also the increasingly unpredictable behavior of the US under the Trump administration, has sent Europe on a defense spending spree in recent months.

“The Russian threat will be there for many years to come,” Rutte said Thursday.

Well before Trump, the US had urged all NATO allies must meet the agreed target of spending 2% of their GDP on defense. Most NATO countries now do so, with the average spend in 2024 at 2.7%.

On Thursday, Rubio recalled the Trump administration’s new goal.

“We do want to leave here with an understanding that we are on a pathway, a realistic pathway, to every single one of the members committing and fulfilling a promise to reach up to 5%,” he said.

This also included the US, he said, which currently spends 3.5%.

Bombshell tariffs overshadow goodwill message

Rubio’s task of putting fellow NATO members at ease was made even harder on Wednesday when Trump announced tariffs that many fear could kick off global trade war. A 10%-levy now applies to virtually all goods imported into the US. Goods from the European Union, which includes 23 of the 31 NATO member states, face tariffs of 20 percent.

Arriving at the talks o Thursday, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot acknowledged that transatlantic unity was “being tested by the decisions taken and announced yesterday by President Trump.”